If I had to only pick one makeup item to have period, it would have to be mascara. While I am a lipstick junkie to the core, I think that having a good mascara can make you look awake and liven up your look even if you don’t have any other makeup on.
So far, we have gone through 4 different lipstick colors and blushes in our “Top 5 Beauty” series. Mascara is the next thing on the list. There are so many different mascaras out there to choose from, both in high end and drugstore. Within all of those, there are some definite winners… and some complete duds.
- Too Faced “Better Than Sex” Mascara: If you want full, voluminous lashes, then go pick this up right now! This is one of the best mascaras I have ever used. The formula isn’t too wet or too dry, and when you use it a few times it gets even better. Some people have a complaint that the brush is too big but I find that the shape and size of it provides a gorgeous look on the lashes. It also holds curl and it isn’t overly expensive.
- Loreal “Voluminous Carbon Black”: This is an “evergreen” mascara for me, and one that I will always go back to. It gives length, volume, and the blackest of black lashes. It is an amazing price with a build-able formula that you could wear fairly natural or really coat on the layers for a dramatic look. This is by far my favorite from the drugstore. It was the first mascara I ever used in the original gray tube, along with the Maybelline Great Lash in the neon pink and green tube (comment below if you know what I’m talking about ladies).
- Loreal “Miss Manga”: Another good mascara from the drugstore. This one is the type of mascara that you either love or hate I think due to the fact that the formula is pretty thick and the wand is an interesting concept. Some people don’t like the flexibility it gives, and to be honest I am not a huge fan of the bend factor in the wand. But, the formula is amazing and it’s also very build-able. Because of the cone shape and how thin the wand is towards the end, it’s great for all lashes including those tiny ones on the inner corner or the bottom lashes. It lengthens and can be built up for some intense volume. This mascara does dry out pretty quickly I have found, and you will notice because it will start to flake when that happens.
- Mac Zoom Fast Black Lash: I don’t even know how many of these I have purchased in my lifetime, but if I had to guess, I would say about 8. I think this is a really good mascara that doesn’t smudge, is good for both top and bottom lashes, and is great for layering with other mascaras. On it’s own, it is a decent lengthening mascara that gives a little volume. On top of something else is where it really shines. It also does wonders on the bottom lashes, separating them and giving them definition, plus the wand is pretty thin so it’s easy to work with on those baby lashes.
- Younique 3D Fiber Lash Mascara: Yes, I am absolutely a fan of this product. I have a full younique mascara review if you want to check it out. I thought it was going to be gimmicky, but it actually gives a stunning effect if you take the time to use it the right way. Plus, the product lasts for quite a while and if you wanted to just use the mascara on its own without the fibers, that gives a great result as well. It has a similar brush shape to Too Faced BTS, just more rounded rather than squared off.
A couple of honorable mentions are Dior Iconic OverCurl, which is really expensive for a mascara but it does do an amazing job of holding your curl and gives you voluminous, long, beautiful lashes. Also, Benefit “They’re Real” is great to use with another mascara, like the Too Faced one mentioned above, but not on its own. It helps separate the lashes and adds some length when layered with another, but on its own, I don’t think it does much of anything. Plus, I have realized that I am not a fan of plastic brush wands, I prefer the actual synthetic bristles way more. Maybelline “Lash Sensational” is also another solid option from the drugstore that are inexpensive but provide a great look.
What is your favorite mascara?
*Here’s to high heels and long lashes*