Over the past year, I have been working hard to get my anxiety under wraps. It is extremely draining, mentally and physically, to battle with all that anxiety can throw it you on a daily basis. I have really been searching for something to help with it and I have tried A LOT of different methods. I am sharing some of the natural ways to cope with anxiety that I have found truly work that best.
I am not writing this to say that I think prescribed medication is the devil or that I think people should stay away from prescription treatments for anxiety. As someone who has extensively studied prescription treatments for mental disorders in my Masters program, I can only say that it was not a path that I wanted to choose. I have always been more of a natural girl in that sense. I rarely even take medication for a headache, and I am a migraine sufferer.
To those struggling with anxiety, I hope that some of these help you or add to your list of things that help you deal with the beast.
Natural Ways to Cope With Anxiety
- Essential Oils: There is some debate as to what essential oils actually do for you, and the FDA is not their biggest fan. For me, I can’t say that essential oils cure anxiety by any means. However, I have found that they really helped to ease my stressful triggers when I felt my anxiety rising. A sweet friend of mine made me a few rollerballs that I carry around with me, and some of the oils in those that I noticed a difference with are Lavender, Bergamot, Chamomile, and Frankincense. I have a rollerball with me everywhere I go, and it is serious a lifesaver in situations where my anxiety might try to get the best of me.
- Mantras: Finding a mantra to repeat to yourself when you feel an anxiety attack coming can do wonders to calm you down. One of my favorites is a verse, Psalm 94:19, that says, “In the multitude of my thoughts within me thy comforts delight my soul.” It has calmed me down during full-blown panic attacks, helped to soothe my mind when I can’t sleep.
- Acupuncture: I tried this a few times when I was about five or six months postpartum. I was not a huge fan at first (hello, needles). After a few sessions, I noticed a big difference especially during and after the treatments. I was a lot calmer, and the results of that lasted for a few days. I went twice a week, so it seemed to help for a little while. My acupuncturist also gave me some herbal medicine to take as tea, which I felt helped a lot more than the acupuncture to be honest. It was her own concoction, with ingredients that I couldn’t even try to explain. However, talk to your acupuncturist if they also do herbal powder mixes.
- Cortisol Blockers: These are the most “unnatural” if you will, in that they are a pill. But you don’t need a prescription for them and they only work naturally with your body to help you sleep better. My naturopathic doctor got them for me when I told him I did not want to try any type of prescription drugs.
- Prayer: I have found that the power of prayer can do amazing things for someone who struggles with anxiety. I am a believer in the strength that is found in the Lord, and during my darkest times of postpartum, prayer saved me.
*Here’s to finding natural and safe ways to help deal with anxiety*